Sunday, July 11, 2010

Passionate Eating

Last Friday night we were beginning our Saturday morning at Square Burger. Craig and Gnoc made us the best ribs on the planet, amazing apple slaw, and oh-my-god sweet potato fries. I'm going to have to bring in my camera to take pictures at night where you can really see the food.

When I was flipping through my pictures I discovered that most of them are taken at Square Burger, and before June 14th when they opened, I saw pictures of a totally different life. It was so much less fun, and at the time I didn't think that was possible at all. Having Square Burger in my life now has been one of the biggest blessings because of the people who own it and those who work there. The food's incredible, but the people make it home. Gnoc, Craig, and Brandon are the best gifts McKinney has. Not only are they knowledgeable about food, but the love and passion they have for it is unlike what I've ever seen before.

Brandon eyed my plate of fried apple pie today and proceeded to tell me how he knew what it tasted like by what he saw, the flecks of vanilla bean in the ice cream, the cut of the apples, the flakiness of the crust... It was the most sensual experience I've ever had with food. I needed a cigarette by the time he was done.

He talked about the gases in the beer on tap as if he was describing the most tantalizingly delicious mouth-watering experience I could think of. I'm not going to even try to tell you what he said because as far as the contents of the gas goes, he lost me at hello, but watching his face as he talked, I was lost in his love for what he does. It was so beautiful to see. To me, there's nothing so wildly gorgeous as someone doing what they love and drowning in the ecstasy of how it makes them feel.

I am a firm believer in loving what I do. I've spent most of my life abhorring how I spent my work days, so to be able now to lose myself in my studio or at the spa is luxuriously delicious. It cranks me. It juices me. It makes me love more. Just when I think I reach the pinnacle of how good I can feel, it gets even better. To surround myself with those that do the same absolutely creams my jeans. (Brandon, I just can't think of a better way to say it. )

Since I work with energy, I'm more sensitive to it than most, and I feel the love and passion not only in the restaurant, but I taste it in the food and beer. It's an experience my mouth will never forget.

Square Burger on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment