Thursday, July 1, 2010

Toto, We're not in Square Burger Anymore...

It's never pretty leaving the square, but sometimes it's essential. This morning presented one of those times. Tammy Davis and I had to trek to Fort Worth and while waiting to meet someone, we stopped in a restaurant that wasn't a chain. We hiked ourselves up to the bar and this is what was looking back at us. Tough to order ham or bacon with this bad boy eyeballing us.

So, I got myself real busy getting to work and drinking waaay too much coffee. Our bartender let us know his name was Jebaaz Jenkins, and he kept that caffeine coming. Even though Wilbur was an awesome assistant and a bit of a heavy Coke drinker, I was more than happy to get back to Oz. After picking up my friend's cothing and ruby slippers at someone's home, we headed back east and let the yellow brick road take us back home.

 The first place to go after a long morning escaping the wicked witch of the west and her cohorts is Square Burger on the square in McKinney. Once we passed 35 on 121 we passed the poppies, narrowly missed the flying monkeys, and saw Oz in the background. We could already taste the turkey burger and fried pickle. Just the image of  a full plate at the bar kept us going through traffic and radar traps.



After my fabulous turkey burger and fried pickle, Ngoc brought me the best popcorn in the world. It's cooked in duck fat and flavored with Parmesan and rosemary.











Marley kept my water glass full and loaded with lemons, and the time spent outside of Oz disappeared from memory.


And of course, Oz wouldn't be Oz without the wizard behind the bar, Brandon Horrocks, one of the owners. Not only am I thrilled to be back in McKinney, but I'm so grateful to all those responsible for the best place in the world to hike a leg up at the bar and hang with the best people on the planet.

Square Burger on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment